Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Blog Post 5

podcast

Judy Scharf Podcast Collection

In her post, What Is A Podcast?, Scharf gives a definition of "podcast" and gives a little information on the subject. The thing in her post that helped me understand podcasts the most is the video on how to create and upload them. I have never created one before, so I'm a little nervous and didn't know where to start until I watched the video. How To Create a Podcast gives you many programs you can use to create a podcast. It shows specific ways to edit the podcast, such as normalizing it and removing background noise. The video also gives many different websites you can use to publish your podcast.

Langwitches- Podcasting with First Grade

In this blog post a first grade teacher has introduced podcasts to her students. She read one chapter of a book at a time and gathered their questions. Each student would read their question as part of a podcast; with a setting of interviewing the two main characters. The students loved hearing themselves on audio and correcting/re-recording their work. This seems like a very fun and exciting way of learning. Why wait until high school or college for students to get to experience such a positive type of learning? I think this is something that would definitely help students learn about the book they are reading.

Langwitches- Flat Stanley Podcast

A first grade class read the book Flat Stanley. Each student then recorded a segment of the podcast and were "flattened" and mailed around the world. That's not where the fun stops! Then, they read the book with their parents and wrote a script that included how they got to a particular city, how it felt to be mailed, what they did at the location, etc. WOW! I think this is an awesome post that really made me smile. I love hearing things like this that students get to do, not have to do! Allowing students to learn while using their imagination is so important and well performed in this situation.

worldwide podcasts

4 comments:

  1. Hey Kaylee I agree with you about Flat Stanley. I thought this was an amazing idea that allowed students to let their mind and creativity run free. I think more teachers should be doing projects like this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "She read one chapter of a book at a time and collaborated their questions." Collaborated is not the right word. I am not sure what the right word is since it is unclear what you were saying. Maybe collected? or coordinated? or organized? or responded to? I don't know. Maybe collaborated with them on their questions? Even then i am not sure what was going on.


    How will your exposure to Langwitches Flat Stanley discussion affect your teaching?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kaylee,

    You have a lot of great points. I completely agree with you that allowing students to learn while using their imagination is so important. Kids today are so lucky to have teachers like Silvia Tolisano. I love reading her blog. It makes me think back to my childhood education and almost shudder because it was the total opposite.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Kaylee! I agree that it's super important for kids to be able to use their imaginations while they learn, and making podcasts is a great way to let their creativity flow. I think you could have summarized each post/video a little more and maybe expanded more on how what you've learned will apply to your teaching career and your group's podcast, though!

    ReplyDelete